Level 2 Update
New Zealand has now officially entered level 2 and with that the Taupo Fishery is now open to all New Zealanders. Although there are still some restrictions, anglers can now enjoy most areas and boating is once again possible.
For the most up to date information about the fishery please follow the links below:
The team at Sporting Life is also now welcoming customers back in store to help with any inquiries and provide boat loads of valuable information.
Please be advised that due to government restrictions we have the following processes in place:
- 10 people in store at any given time. On rare occasion we may ask some customers to wait outside.
- Please use the hand sanitiser provided.
- Follow good hygiene practices by not coming in store if you feel unwell – we are very happy to process orders by phone, email and online!
- As said, if you do not wish to come in store we are very happy to help out, just give us a bell.
- Try not to touch any merchandise that you don’t intend to purchase. We do allow trials of clothing, but knowing your size helps. Any clothing not bought is put away for a minimum of days.
- We regularly sanitise Eftpos machines, benches and other common surfaces.
- Please stay at least 2m away from other people.
We are here to help,
Tight Lines from the Staff and Sporting Life
Fishing, Hunting & Tramping Equipment
Sporting Life is situated in the township of Turangi on the banks of the Blue Ribbon Fishery on the Tongariro River. The river is a mecca for trout anglers worldwide and a source of The Great Lake Taupo, as well as being ‘The Gateway to the World Heritage National Park’ of Tongariro.
Sporting Life has been an owner operated store since opening in 1968. We are a stockist of tackle for fly fishing the local and backcountry, as well as boat fishing on the Lakes. We also stock a range of hunting and tramping equipment for visitors of the Tongariro Heritage Park and Kaimanawa Ranges, only a short drive away.
Whether you’re walking, tramping, mountain biking, rafting, hunting, fishing, boating or just enjoying the great outdoors, Sporting Life is there to make it more enjoyable.
We’re New Zealand agents for:
- Simms Waders and Accessories
- Sage Fly Rods and Fly Reels
- Redington Fly Rods Reels and Waders
- Patagoina Waders and Patagonia Wading boots
- Magnum Neoprene Waders
- Airflo Fly Rods and Fly Lines
- Kilwell Fly Rods
- Scientific Anglers Fly Lines
- Lamson Fly Reels
- Manic Tackle Flies
- Umpqua Flies
- Umpqua Fly Tying Materials
- Wapsi Fly Tying Materials
- Rio Fly Lines
- Scott Fly Rods
- Primal Fly Rods
- Echo Fly Rods
- Loon Outdoors
- Category 3 Flies
Scott Flex 9'0" #8 4 Piece Fly Rod
Redington Skagit wading boot